Thursday, October 18, 2007

Princess Mononoke

Princess Mononoke? (San) is an adorable, cheeky and righteous character. She dwells within the great forest where humans are expanding their mining and lumbering like a disease.

Princess Mononoke Japanese Poster
"Taste the blood..."


Ashitaka is our hero who's been cursed and has left his village never to return again. He encounters many changes in his body and also many divine encounters throughout his unraveling journey.

Ashitaka
"I'm gonna fuckin' kill you!"


The Kodoma? are the cutest little beings I've ever seen, their rattling heads just fill the air with music.
Kodoma
*rattle-rattle*


Set in an era of historic significance, the spiritual and materialistic worlds collide. The forest is a place where animals are Gods, usually represented by two or more tails or by gigantic size.

The orchestrated music is also very memorable... unforgettable actually. The animated plains that Ashitaka and his trusty elk, Yakul, ride across, are drawn realistically to create a "sway to the wind" effect.

Truly a classic and definite must-see! Not much to say but you have to watch the movie to really grasp it all.

6 comments:

Libra said...

Hayao Miyazaki has the strangest ability to combine the grotesque with the cutesey. I saw Howl's Moving Castle and Spirited Away. Actually I'm not as much interested in this sort of anime as in others...probably why I said Blood+ gave me my second taste of anime.

Lol, your caption for Ashitaka reads like an account of adolescence in the 1960s. Esp the second sentence.

Unknown said...

I've only seen Lupin III, for its classic age, its quite well done. Spirited Away was quite capturing to the people who didn't even realise its anime, i believe.

Mononoke Hime is different to the usual flying theme of Miyazaki's other movies... as I read in Wiki. He did good for Japan and Studio Ghibli.

The thought about Ashitaka's adolescence never crossed my mind, was referring to the pic. :D hehe

Libra said...

Lol, was talking about this sentence: He encounters many changes in his body and also many divine encounters throughout his unraveling journey.

Hm, your tone towards the pouplar reception to Spirited Away comes off as quite condescending. My sister also didn't think much of it, but I thought it was amusing, like a Japanese Alice in Wonderland.

Craig Smith said...

It's one of the best anime movies ever made definitly worth watching!

I've seen Lupin III. I liked it a lot.

Unknown said...

Anyone who wants to startup with anime, should definitely see it!

Libra, i like your sense of humour... BTW, it aint a highschool anime with adolescents :D

The pic represents the cursed arm that forces those "changes in his body", he struggles to control the curse in him.

I especially love the scene that the pic was taken from, his arm does it's own thing and shoots off an arrow so demonic that it rips the guys heads and arms off.

I wonder if i left any traces of sexual ambiguity behind :P

Libra congrats on #1 comment :D

Bennie KS said...

i love the princess mononoke. it is one of my very favorite movies- tying with lord of the rings, pans labrynth, and hmm... I'm not sure what else. it has the best moral of any movie, and san is the most beautiful wonderful "princess" EVER. the wole thing is absolutely beatiful